Skip to content
Texas A&M University

Frequently Asked Questions

The following questions are asked on a daily basis. This page will be updated regularly.

  • Should I take Math 151 or 171?
  • I took Math 151 before I changed my degree to mathematics. Do I need to take Math 171? – NO. Moreover, Math 152 can be used for Math 172, and Math 253 can be used for Math 221. In addition, Math 251 can be used for Math 221 provided the student has an additional one hour credit (in anything) to make up the difference in course hours. However, students who are currently mathematics majors may not take Math 151, 152, 251 or 253 without the approval of an undergraduate advisor.
  • How do I accept AP credit and should I? – How to: AP credits are accepted by going to the My Record tab in Howdy and clicking on the Credit by Examination link.
    Should I?: Be aware that some AP courses cannot be accepted for credit by math majors, e.g., Statistics and Physic B, as they are at a lower level than we require. Others are just elective credits, such as World History. We recommend you accept English 104, History 105 and 106, Political Science 206 (the AP test is called US Government), Physics C, Mechanics and or Electricity and Magnitism (PHYS 218 and 208, respectively) if you meet the university required score (see the DARS website for a list of acceptable scores). You should accept Math AP credits only if you earned a score of 5 and want to take the next class, which you do not have to do. Once you accept AP credit, it is on your transcript and if in the future this changes, you will need to contact Data and Research Services (DARS) about your options. You can accept AP credits at any time up until your last semester. So, we recommend waiting to accept all other AP credits until you are sure you will use them.
  • What are the required writing/communications in Math and how do I fulfill the requirements? – The university requires all students to take one university approved writing intensive (W) course in their major and a second either university approved W or communications (C) course in their major. However, BA secondary certification majors may use RDNG 372 and APMS/Actuary majors may use ECMT 463. As time goes on other exceptions may become available. Math 220 is our required W course. Other W courses we currently offer are: Math 442, 467, and 491. The C courses currently offered are: Math 396, 442, and 482. Math 442 is on both lists because it depends on who is teaching it as to whether they choose to offer the course as W or C.
  • Can I substitute Math 304 for Math 323? – Yes. However, if you are currently a mathematics major then you need permission from an undergraduate advisor to take Math 304.
  • Can I co-enroll at Blinn? – Yes. For example, if you have a scheduling conflict or the course you need is not being offered at TAMU, then you might seek enrollment at Blinn.
  • Can I change catalogs – Yes, but only if you change to a later catalog. Please inform Bailey Patterson, if you wish to change.
  • Are there scholarships available to non-freshmen undergraduate mathematics majors? – Yes. There are Academic Achievement in Mathematics Scholarships for Sophomores and Juniors demonstrating academic excellence in Mathematics. These scholarships are awarded for one year and range from $250 - $1,000.00. Students obtaining between 30 and 94 credit hours are eligible to apply. Interested students should apply online at: Continuing Student Scholarship Application. Deadline to apply for this scholarship is the first of February of each year. The mathematics program office also offers specialty awards to our undergraduate majors. See the Math Department Scholarship page for more information.
  • Can I take children's literature courses to satisfy my literature requirement? – No.
  • Who are the best mathematics professors? – They are all excellent.
  • How do I Q-drop a course? – Obtain a Q-drop form from Bailey Patterson (Blocker 332B) or download one from the Registrar's website. Complete the form and turn it in to an undergraduate advisor or Bailey Patterson for approval/completion.
  • I have used all 3 of my Q-drops. Is it possible to Q-drop another course? – There are times when it is possible to obtain an additional Q-drop. You should visit with an undergraduate advisor, and then see a Dean in the College of Science Student Affairs Office on the fifth floor of Blocker, Room 514.
  • When should I start interviewing for jobs? – We recommend that you start interviewing one year prior to graduation. The web is an excellent place to search for jobs. Look at the web sites of employers you are interested in and contact them.
  • I have an interview. Do you have any special advise? – Yes. Dress nice, smile, maintain eye contact and be honest. Once an employer thinks you are smart enough to handle the job, they are looking for two things. First, they want to know if you are likeable. Companies want to hire people that their current employees will want as co-workers, friends and confidants. Second, they want to determine whether you are trustworthy. Your letters of recommendation will help with this, but there is nothing like a first impression. Eye contact and body language will speak wonders for your case.
  • I've been thinking about graduate school. Do mathematics majors have any options besides mathematics? – Interestingly, mathematics majors have more options than almost any other major. This is simply because most graduate programs prefer students to have more mathematical and logical problem solving experience than their undergraduate majors obtain. Our majors are typically equipped (or within one to two courses) of the requirements for graduate school in mathematics, statistics, industrial engineering, economics, finance or oceanography. In addition, with proper choice of elective hours, students can be prepared for graduate school in computer science, or for professional school in Law or Medicine. Of course, almost anyone can obtain an MBA.